Old Age Psychiatry Department
For more than 40 years, the Behman Hospital has provided comprehensive diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care for elderly men and women in psychiatric distress.
In 1998, a separate department had been established and dedicated exclusively to meeting the mental-health needs of the elderly and to support their families.
A secure, tranquil Environment: The old-age department facilities are specifically designed to meet the physical and behavioural needs for older patients. Special needs access comfortable inpatient units and high staff-to-patient ratios are among the features that ensure patient safety. A predictable daily routine and the beautiful Behman grounds and gardens enhance comfort.
We meet these goals through:
- Multidisciplinary Team: All psychiatrists, old age psychiatrists, neurologists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, and doctors of other specialities on the Old Age Psychiatry Department multidisciplinary team are trained to diagnose and treat older patients.
- Broad Range of Old Age Psychiatry Services:Integrated inpatient, outpatient, memory-evaluation clinic and house-based services ensure continuity and appropriateness of care. Our clinical teams follow patient through inpatient and outpatient treatment. Also we help the families for easing anxiety and enhancing responsiveness to care.
- Comprehensive Diagnosis and Treatment: Medications and the psychological and social stresses of growing older all can complicate diagnosis and treatment of late-life psychiatric problems. Our multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis, which includes full battery of psychiatric, social , neuropsychological, medical, and neurological tests, ensure accurate evaluation on which optimal management can be based.
- Family Education and Cares Support: We meet regularly with families to provide support and information to address relevant family stresses and to help patients and their families arrange suitable follow-up care.
- In 2000, the hospital was affiliated to the department of psychiatry at Wayne State University, Michigan, USA.
- As it stands now, it is a comprehensive village for health and social services, integrating with the academic activities.
Rehabilitation unit for Learning Disabilities and Mental Retardation.
- Service Description: Assessment of clients with mental retardation or learning disabilities, and investigating any other coexisting psychiatric or medical conditions. Management plans include laboratory, genetic, audiometric, physical, neurophysiologic and psychological investigations. With the aim to give appropriate personalized support, the and the treatment is carried out by a multidisciplinary team including Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Phoneticist, Physiotherapist, Internists, Social Workers, Nurses and Occupational Therapist. Sheltered workshops specially designated to individual capabilities are included in the management program.
- Patient Profile: All patients from the age of 12 years suffering from mental retardation with other coexisting medical conditions.
- Treatment Philosophy: Helping to main stream our special population, securing their self confidence and dignity as well as providing medical support to other coexisting conditions.
- Facilities: Inpatient facilities with separate quarters for males and females, sheltered workshops which include wood work, frame making and green house.
Educational facilities include computer labs, phonetic classes, physiotherapy and private tutoring classes. Recreational facilities include gym room, TV and Video area, playgrounds and access to cafeterias.
The Behman addiction services integrates philosophies and practices from the medical, psychological, family systems and 12 step model. This is a bio-psycho-social-spiritual approach to the treatment of the disease of addiction where a holistic approach is adhered to. With the understanding that alcoholism and drug addiction are often triggered by an underlying disorder, clinicians at our treatment centre effectively address the needs of patients having one or several diagnoses. Although Behman addiction treatment focuses on drug and alcohol dependencies, we believe that all potential addictions need to be assessed and addressed as early as possible. This includes food disorders, co-dependency, compulsive sexual behaviour, internet addiction, and gambling.
The appropriate use of medications is significantly important during the detoxification process as well as throughout the patients journey of recovery. This is a process of balance, because the inappropriate use of medications can be a major cause of relapse and suffering. All patients admitted to Behman will have their medication needs evaluated by psychiatric and medical experts. Sauna therapy may also be used during detoxification.
The residential clinical programs -both primary and secondary- also use cognitive-behavioural approaches, and psycho-educational groups are also utilised. The group process facilitates the patients learning process of how to identify issues that have contributed to their symptomatic behaviors and how to gain new coping skills and healthy behaviors. Patients also learn relapse prevention strategies through the use of other treatment modalities that include experiential work such as psychodrama, art therapy, and movement therapy and imagery.
The same philosophy and modalities are extended to members of the after-care program that have the opportunity to monitor and continue to develop their social skills for 12 months after residential treatment. A drug screening is also included.
Addiction is a disease that affects the family. Statistics show that treating an individual within the context of the family system provides a much stronger foundation for recovery by developing understanding, support, and healing for the whole family, this is all possible through the family program at Behman.
Finally, patients are encouraged to explore and develop their spiritual connection through 12 step meetings and other integrative therapies that enhance the process of recovery such as acupuncture, yoga, meditation, and physical exercise.
- Initial Detoxification: After passing their withdrawal period safely patients are transferred to the addiction ward where they are introduced to the Ward team. This consists of the ward doctor, a number of psychologists qualified in a variety of different forms of Psychotherapy, Movement therapy, Art therapy and Psychodrama sessions. The Social department also offers a number of activities and events are involved with the patients' families and deal with the social implications of addiction.
Patients are also encouraged to attend NA meetings taking place both inside and outside the hospital run by a number of recovering addicts from the NA and AA fellowship. The nursing staff and auxiliary nurses are also introduced to the patients as they are oriented to the operating system within the ward.
- Insight Orientation: All patients from the age of 12 years suffering from mental retardation with other coexisting medical conditions.
- Family program: The family programme is designed to meet the needs if the family members personally involved with Alcohol and Drug dependent people. Family programme takes place at the Behman Hospital where we offer group therapy for families and spouses counselling is also available by qualified therapists.
General Adult Psychiatry
General Adult Psychiatry
Assessment for patients with various psychiatric disorders, and establishment of comprehensive management plans, including necessary laboratory, neurophysiological and Psychological investigations. Treatment carried out by a multidisciplinary team comprised of Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social workers, Nurses and Occupational Therapist.
- Patient Profile:All patients between 16 and 64 years suffering from various psychiatric disorders, Affective Disorders, psychosis and personality disorders.
- Treatment Philosophy: Provision of a safe haven for patients with psychotic disorders of various severity, in a humane and pleasant environment, with early and continuous involvement of family members, while maintaining respect for the patients' cultural, social and religious backgrounds.
- Facilities: Three separate buildings, located amidst the hospital gardens, one for females and two for males, semi locked, with intensive care units available in each building. Easy access to occupational therapy and recreational facilities. Communal Dining areas, TV area and library. Single and double rooms, with personal storage space, and optional en-suite bathrooms and Air conditioning.
Clinical psychological services at the hospital are conducted by a staff of Psychotherapists, Psychometricians, Counsellors. They are chosen from the graduates of the departments of psychology at accredited universities in Egypt and/or abroad. The services they offer are extended to both in-patients and out-patients.
The Department's Services Include:
- Psychological Evaluation and Testing: This encompasses the administration, scoring, and interpretation of psychological tests to children, adults and elderly patients. Areas of assessment include both Ability Testing, and Personality Testing. Ability testing: individual (cognitive and neuropsychological) and special populations: mental retardation. Personality testing: self-report personality inventories and projective techniques.
- Individual and Group Therapy:This is a service offered to all eligible patients and is an integral aspect of the treatment plan set forth by the hospital's multidisciplinary team. The type of individual and group therapy practised are tailored to the specific needs of the patients. The most utilized schools of therapy are Cognitive-Behavioural Psychotherapy, Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, and Person-Centered Psychotherapy.
- Participation: Participation in Hospital, Staff and Ward Discussions and Planning; thereby actively being involved in and contributing to policy creation and revision.
- Presentations and Discussions: Presentations in Hospital Meetings such as Weekly Case Conferences and Journal Club. In weekly case conferences members of the department present a comprehensive psychology report to aid in diagnosis, management and treatment. In the journal club, presentation and discussion of issues from current psychological journals take place.
- Training and Educational Material: Symposia on Psychological Issues; weekly meetings conducted for training staff on different types of psychotherapeutic treatments as well as psychological assessment. Periodically there is a general update of treatment styles and materials.
- Participation and Generation of Research Projects and Scientific Activities: Members of the department are actively involved in academic research under the supervision of Emeritus Prof. and Academic Consultant Fakhr El-Islam. Published studies include Illicit Drug Markets in Greater Cairo in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa, April 2001. Submitted to the Arab Journal of Psychiatry is, Attitudes Towards Hallucinations, (in press).
Currently ongoing studies include the Validation of the Toronto Alexithymia Scale, and the Study of the Effects of Cardiopulmonary Bypass on Cognitive Functions in collaboration with New Kasr El-Aini Teaching Hospital, Cairo University, since January 2002. Both psychological and psychiatric conferences are attended by staff members.
The psychology department is dedicated to constantly reviewing and adopting current developments in approaches to treatment and patient care.
Physiotherapy is a dynamic profession which uses a range of treatment techniques to restore movement and function within the body. The Behman Hospital provides a comprehensive out-patient and inpatient physiotherapy service by registered physiotherapists supported, where necessary by consultant specialists.
The physiotherapy service aims to provide a quality needs bed centred treatment to optimize functional potential and encourage maximum independence.
Our Range of service includes:
- Evaluating and assessing the patient's needs after gathering the subjective (case history) and objective (Clinical examination) data about patient's tissues and functional abilities (disabilities) to determine the presenting problem.
- Establish goals and appropriate treatment plan.
- Select the suitable techniques and/or therapeutic modalities - e.g.: Electrotherapy, Hydrotherapy, Manipulation, and Hands-on-treatment, therapeutic exercises, positioning, and splints, ambulation, and gait training...etc.
- Advice on self help and safe exercise regimes.
- Follow-up the planned program, re-evaluate patient's status and modify the plan according to patient progression.
Patient profile: A wide range of patients may benefit from physiotherapy for example:
- Musculoskeletal problems.
- Orthopedic joint diseases.
- Soft tissues injuries.
- Acute and chronic respiratory conditions.
- Strokes and other neurological conditions.
- Geriatrics care.
- Pre and post operative care..
- Palliative care.
Treatment philosophy: Our Philosophy consists of:
- To listen first and then to assess.
- To inform the patient as to the likely cause(s) of their problem(s) thus improving the understanding of their conditions.
- To develop an individually tailored treatment plan.
- To advice preventative measures to avoid recurrence of the problems.
Role of P.T. in certain conditions:
The physiotherapy department provides the following therapeutic modalities:
- In hared
- T.E.N.S (Transeutaneous Electrical Neuromuscular and Faradic current Stimulation)
Can help to mobilize joints and promote exercise in a non weight bearing environment.
These comprise: Passive, Active assisted, Active free, and resisted movements.
- Soft-tissues techniques (massage).
- Passive molsilisation of joints.
- Passive stretching of soft tissues.
- Auto-stretching of soft tissues.
Newly set up unit have modern high-tech equipments to aid with the rehabilitation of patients who need special exercise equipment, used to help individuals regain strength, balance, muscle tone to increase walking ability and other abilities lost through such events as stroke or post surgery as hip-replacement.
Laboratory & Investigation Unit
Lab & Investigation Unit
To assist in screening patients and for follow up, an up to date unit with facilities comprising.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)For both routine recording and extended video assisted monitoring. A 32 channel digital equipment enables us in detecting EEG changes in patients with seizures, abnormal movement disorders and effects of substance withdrawal.
- Sleep Laboratory: Run by the Cairo Centre for Sleep Disorders, offers full Polysomnography recording , overnight and Multiple Sleep Latency Tests during daytime. The lab assists in diagnosing causes of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness, Insomnia, Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Movement disorders during sleep.
- Ultrasonography: X-ray and electro-cardiology facilities are also available in this department.
Occupational Therapy & Rehabilitation
Art therapy, Handrafts pottery
At the Behman Hospital we believe in Art as a healer. An important aspect of our philosophy in treatment is allowing our patients to express themselves through art. The late Dr Magdi Refaat, a painter sculptor and physician, helped our patients to achieve their potential as artists. He worked with different groups of patients on different days. Currently, Ms Carol Hammal a certified art therapise carries the message onwards and as you can see, some of the material in our website is our patient's creation. head to the gallery page to view more pictures
- Art Therapy
- Pottery Manual activities are a cornerstone in our rehabilitation programs. Pottery poses an excellent example. An activity that has found a place in our hospital for several decades, we also hold an annual exhibition for all the works of art.
- Computer Classes The hospital provides computer lessons to patients wishing to improve their abilities. Internet basic courses are also available.
Our fully qualified sports activity coordinator arranges various individual and group sports which may include Tennis, table Tennis, Squash, Football, Volleyball. Creative activities and relaxation sessions are also available. head to the gallery page to view more pictures
- Football Court: Our football court hosts a variety of daily activities, starting at 9:30 with Aerobic exercises for half an hour, followed by a small football tournament between the different wards. During the afternoons recovering substance abusers take their go at playing football, from 4:30 till 5:30
- Gymnasium: A fully equipped fitness hall is available to all our patients, with both cardio equipment and body building facilities.
- Volleyball: The hospital also has a small Volleyball court situated in the activities area, it is available for any one who is interested.
- Table Tennis: Table tennis playing facilities are also available.
- Billiards: Pool is a mental challenge as much as it is a physical exercise. A small pool table is available for our patients.
- Tennis Court: Coaching facilities are also available.
- Squash: For our more fit patients the squash court offers a challenging physical experience, whether you choose to take introductory lessons, practice with our coach, or play with other patients.
- Swimming Pool: Our outdoor swimming pool is available for all patients during the long summer, swimming lessons are also available.
- Computer Lessons: The hospital provides computer lessons to patients wishing to improve their abilities. Internet basic courses are also available.